At last…the new toilet is operational

I finally decided to stop digging the toilet pit ‘just a little bit deeper’and put it together. With the help of the whole family, we dug a final two wheel barrows of soil out of the pit, making the hole 1.5 cubic metres in size. Then my long suffering partner and daughters put the pedestal part together and bolted the whole lot to the floor.

The new pedestal on the floor. The floor is in two pieces and is not fixed, so it can be opened if the pit ever needs to be emptied.

The inside of the pedestal; The square inner lining is made from two old buckets with the bottoms cut out. This inner lining extends down through the floor and can be cleaned easily. The outer pedestal is a steel drum with the top and bottom cut out.

A flash new toilet seat bolted onto the pedestal completes the set up.

We put up the movable toilet tent over the whole thing for now.

So now the experiment begins, I hope this system works and we don’t have to do this all over again.

The toilet building itself comes next, but that’s another story.

3 thoughts on “At last…the new toilet is operational

  1. Pingback: Home Biogas system- part three- the toilet | Chronicles of a humpy dweller

Leave a Reply to Jude Wright Cancel reply